Saturday, May 25, 2013

Laundry, Laundry, Everywhere

Actually that's not quite true.  BK and I have taken to wearing things more than just once and making them last.  Not the essentials, obviously those are one-wear only items, but jeans, sweaters, button downs and other items, those are to be worn numerous times.  It also helps that the highs over here are still somewhere between 40 and 60 degrees, so the sweating that occurs in Texas doesn't happen here.

All that said, in our new building, BK and I only get laundry days two days every two weeks. For example, we had Friday and Saturday, May 3 and 4, then not again until Friday and Saturday May 17 and 18.  Well, too bad for us, we were out of town those days. So that means that we don't have laundry days until Friday and Saturday, May 31 and June 1.  With the traveling we're planning to do this is not going to work for us, so we decided to purchase our own washer/dryer "kombi" to put in our apartment.


Here it is!  The washer/dryer combo...yes, that's a washer and dryer in one machine. Don't get me wrong, it takes forever to do a load of laundry.  There is an express load that only takes 35 minutes to wash and dry, but most normal size loads cannot be done in that time.  I would say it generally takes an hour or two to do a load of laundry, but that is downplayed by the fact that I can do laundry any time I want, or need, now.  It also drains into our bathtub, but that is really not a big issue.

Prior to this purchase, I literally cannot tell you how many times I got in trouble over laundry.  It all started because I put the wrong kind of coin in the machine.  You can only put 20 cent coins in our machine outside of the laundry room.  Oops- I put various types of coins and broke the machine.  The owner had it fixed and BK and I were still able to do laundry on our first two days.

Since then, anything and everything that has gone wrong in the laundry room gets blamed on me.  Random laundry bag in the laundry room?  We get a knock on the door asking about that.  Clothes left hanging in the drying room?  Another knock on the door inquiring as to if they are mine.  One time apparently the lint trap was not cleaned out and the owner came up to our apartment and had me come down and clean it!  I wasn't even the last one to do laundry.  Another tenant had done laundry after me, but I was the only one that the owner had seen that day!  Laundry can be a bit exhausting at times when you have to deal with all of this, especially when the owner does not speak ANY English- only German.

So now we have our washer/dryer kombi, which I am very excited about.  It's crazy how much you miss the privilege of being able to wash clothes whenever you want.  Enjoy it if you have it!

No comments:

Post a Comment