Thursday, August 28, 2014

Our biggest trip yet!

So we've been in Texas for nearly two weeks and I have barely scratched the surface on seeing people...hence the reason Baby K and I are staying for a month. I've run into a number of people who have remarked that they love reading the blog (thanks, by the way), but also that I haven't posted in a while.  I would say I've been busy, but that feels a little strange to say considering that everyone I'm visiting with has a job and kids, and Baby K and I are just making the rounds visiting and doing stuff.
Headed to Texas from Basel; yes, that's all of our luggage for one month (including BK's stuff)
A few things about our trip to Texas so far...

Baby K could not have been better on the flights here. We went London-Chicago-Dallas to get here. London to Chicago was great; Chicago to Dallas was a little shaky, but I couldn't really blame her when we'd already been on a plane for eight hours and it was bedtime in Switzerland. I would be cranky if I were her too.
Stowed under the seat- she just needed some wiggle room
We were all family, all the time while BK was here. BK and I saw one couple friend while he was here, and other than that time was spent with family. So, if you're a friend, and I haven't seen you yet, don't feel left out. I haven't seen anyone else either.
Meeting "her" Baby K for the first time
Exhausted after our first weekend
I took a little helper with me last Monday to do stuff with me and "her Baby K." We just ran errands around town, but I think Abbs enjoyed getting to spend some time with Baby K...as long as she wasn't crying.
Feeding Baby K
We went to Horseshoe Bay to spend some time with BK's family this past weekend. BK played some golf, we celebrated some birthdays and an engagement, and Baby K had her first swim in Texas. As a side note, I forgot how ridiculously hot it is here in August. I've been enjoying highs around 75 degrees at home in Switzerland, so this heat is terrible. I just know Baby K is wondering where in the world we've brought her to that is so hot!
Enjoying a shady spot in the pool
Since BK has gone back to Switzerland, Baby K and I have been trying to catch our breath from ten days of constant running. She's transitioned well to the seven hour time change, and only woke up one time during the night for the first week. She back to normal and sleeping through the night now. Thank goodness- she's been sleeping through the night since she was eight weeks old, and even that one time was a little bit brutal.
Helping BK work before he left
We also briefly visited BK's home town in East Texas for a Sip-and-See for Baby K. We saw lots of friends who we hadn't seen in a long time, and who had never met Baby K. She did surprisingly well, considering that she's not all that used to being held and passed around by lots of new people. We've had lots of people visit in Switzerland, but not lots at one time; that's been something new here.
Being cute- she's really good at it!
I have realized a couple of things since I've been here, that I know are due to us living abroad. For example, I have no idea what to do with Baby K when I am shopping or going into a store of some sort. I am so not used to the whole idea of taking the car seat out of the car- it just seems so cumbersome. Unless I know that I'll be trying on clothes, I typically end up wrapping her on to me and heading inside. It just seems so much easier to me. It's also been reaffirmed that I hate umbrella strollers. 
How she feels about being lugged around in the car seat
Another thing, is that I thought only people in Switzerland looked at me like I was crazy with two dogs and a stroller. Apparently that's not just a Swiss thing. We got out today and walked my dad's two dogs, and people even commented that I was working hard and had my hands full. I guess I just think it's a waste to not walk with both baby and dogs. You know, that whole two birds, one stone thing.
Walking with Mags and Chum today
I'm sure we have lots more fun in store while we're here. And yes, I know I left some stuff out. At least Baby K has one thing that is still familiar- a weenie dog to keep her play mat warm, just like Tanner boy does at home.
Charlie keeping her play mat warm

No comments:

Post a Comment