Thursday, April 25, 2013

Watch and Learn

As usual, a lot has happened since I've blogged last.  Some days I'm not really sure where the day goes, but somehow we've already been here for a month.  In some ways it seems like no time, and in others it seems like we've been here much longer.  Not in a bad way, but more in the way we've gotten used to living here.  The weather has been up and down, but mostly cold and rainy the whole time we've been here.  I'm ready for Switzerland to get the message that it's spring already.

Munsterplatz in the morning
Despite what many people may think, daily living in Switzerland is not all skiing, cheese and chocolate.  Sorry to burst your bubble.  I've loved the transition.  I'm walking more than I ever did on a daily basis in Texas, learning many new things and being challenged in my way of life.  My life is not lived around what I want now, but more around what's available, what's open, and the logistics of making things happen.  For example, you may think you can decide what you want for dinner later in the day, but don't let 6:30 pass you by- all the stores in Basel are closed.  You'll either be eating whatever you can find in your fridge (usually not much since we go to the store daily) or going out.

I find that there are a lot of little nuances to living here (and anywhere I'm sure) that people forget to tell you.  How can I manage our life without knowing this stuff?  'Watch and learn' is the theme of my life.

Here are just a few examples...

  • Women aren't the primary account holder on anything.  And I can absolutely forget it since I don't have a job over here.  Even for BK's bank account I have a power of attorney so I can act on his behalf regarding finances.
  • People don't work late the day before a holiday. So no matter how many times BK asks, no we cannot have our household items delivered on April 30.  No one works on May 1 (Swiss Labor Day).  No compromising- they'll be here May 2.
  • There are no checks in Switzerland.  The Swiss like to think this is a more efficient system.  In reality what it means is that they payer has to go to the bank and set up an invoice or a standing order (for something like rent that is paid every month) for money to be transferred.  
  • You never get billed at the time of services in Switzerland.  You will always get an invoice in the mail later.  Swiss people are reliable- everyone pays.  Unfortunately for me these were all in German and I had no clue what to do with them or how to pay them.
  • Do not set your basket on the check out conveyor belt at the grocery store.  Swiss cashiers do not unload baskets- you have to do that.  You also bag your own groceries in your own bag too.
  • Swiss dogs don't seem to bark at anything. My dogs...not so much, but we're working on it.
Magnolia in bloom
Don't take this as complaining, but more as observations and things I've learned.  Like I said, lots has happened since I last blogged: I visited my mom in Florence, we found and were approved for the apartment we wanted, we had our first visitor in Basel, I started German lessons, and many other things.  As life gets into a rhythm hopefully I'll update you on those too.

P.S.- Right before I finished this one I went upstairs to switch out laundry.  Hopefully I don't get caught- we're not allowed to do laundry after 9:00 in our building.

1 comment:

  1. I love learning about this part of the world, and this culture, through you, Lauren. It's so interesting how what on paper look like really small differences can be so staggering when we are used to our regular American way of life. Thanks for sharing your observations and all you are learning with us!

    ReplyDelete