Wednesday, December 4, 2013

My first book review: "Bossypants"

I'm following in the footsteps of my good friend LD, who is an avid reader and much more regular blogger than myself (hers are short, to the point, and include lots of pics). She often posts reviews of books she reads on her blog, so I thought I would take a stab at it too.


Not too long ago I read Tina Fey's book, Bossypants. I actually read it on the October trip to the US…as in I read it on the plane ride from London to DFW. Yes, in one sitting. That's how good it is. And there were many, many times where I laughed out loud.

This is not my typical kind of book, and I honestly can't even remember what prompted me to download it. I have many friends who I like to say read "smart" books; books that are supposed to shift your world view and enlighten your thinking. Not me, I tend to stick to fluffy fiction that is written primarily about women, issues they encounter, relationships, jobs, etc, etc. I used to say this was because I got enough of the tough thinking in my job as a social worker, but I'm not really sure what my excuse is now. I guess maybe I just like this type of book. Judge me if you want, I'm not all that concerned and will continue enjoying my light, carefree books.

So, back to Bossypants. I loved this book. For me, Tina Fey's style of writing is very readable and sounds like she's having a conversation with each reader, telling them a story. The book is full of humor (not surprising), but also offers up insights about her journey in a predominately male industry that still kind of has to be broken into by women like herself.

I also appreciated her honest accounts of childhood, awkward teenage years (no matter how cool you were, I'm certain we all had them), finding her way in college, marriage and now motherhood. Her chapter on motherhood is There's a Drunk Midget in My House, and even though I personally have not had one of these in my house yet, I feel certain I will fully relate in no time when Baby K arrives. I think I liked it because she's very real about her experience, as opposed to making it this glorious, amazing thing that never has any downside. Yes, I appreciate that. 

Another chapter that I found particularly amusing was the one about her dad. It's not that her experiences with her dad reminded me of mine, but one thing in particular that rang true for me (and my sisters as well). One of her observations about what her father gave her, in relation to what she can give her daughter goes as follows:

"I only hope that one day I can frighten my daughter this much. How can I give her what Don Fey gave me? The gift of anxiety. The fear of getting in trouble. The knowledge that while you are loved, you are not above the law."

Maybe I hope BK and I will give this to Baby K? All I know is that it is well instilled in me. I swear every time my dad calls and says, "Call me back, I want to talk to you about something" I go into a mode where I know I've done something wrong. I am immediately doing a mental scan of things that I've recently done, maybe should have done, or perhaps forgot to do. What could I be in trouble for?

Seriously? I'm approaching 33, have a Master's degree, am married, own property, support my(our)selves monetarily, but still, when this phone call comes, I'm pretty sure I'm in trouble for something. My sisters agree as well. They are almost 20 and 28 and they still do it too.

All that said, I would highly recommend this book. And now that I've scanned back through the pages looking for some of my favorite parts, I think I'll read it again. I'm not sure if men will like it as much as women, but it will provide you with lots of laughs and honest, down-to-earth stories about her life.

I kind of hope she writes another one like it. I'm there.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously?!? I guess I'm getting old enough now that you wonder what incurable ailment or disease I have when I call. But, deep down, you know I'm just a softie.

    ReplyDelete