Friday, September 19, 2014

Some days she rules my world

I've had numerous family members mention to me that I need to keep up the blogging, that it makes us feel not quite so far away from everyone in Texas. So here it goes, a little about our day today.

Let's be honest here, Baby K rules my world every day- it's just that some days I actually feel like I'm the one in charge. Today was not one of those days. Looking back, I'm not really sure why, but this day felt like a real grinder. Numerous times I found myself thinking, "I really need to move finding a nursery school up my list." Does this make me a bad mom? No, just one who occasionally wants to do something besides carry a jet lagged and fussy Baby K around all day.
We get a little upset at the end of the day
Speaking of jet lag, Baby K is slowly but surely recovering from the time difference. Right now it seems like going from Switzerland to Texas was much easier than the other way around. She's been waking up twice a night after we put her to sleep at 7:30. Twice a night might not seem so bad, but she's been waking up zero times per night since she was eight weeks old, and I am so ready for that to make a reappearance!

Funny thing is, one of those times she wakes up is typically before BK and I even go to bed. Tonight she woke up a little after 8:00. You might think this is a good thing so that we (okay, me) don't have to get up in the middle of the night, but when she wakes up at this time she cries the entire time she's awake. She wants to get up and she is mad that we're not coming to get her!

The grandparents may not want to read this next line...we typically let her cry when she wakes up at this time. She wants to get up to play, but I want her to know that it's not play time; it's sleep time. I think I have this fear that she'll develop a habit of waking up and wanting to play at night. Note to Baby K...no can do.

I seemed to have skipped to the end of the day. The thing is, our day was fairly uneventful. We primarily stayed around the house, doing things to get settled in the house and back in the swing of things. I somehow managed to triple-task, ironing, pumping and sporadically nibbling on pizza for lunch. I'm also working on stitching some ribbons onto four play mats that BK bought for Baby K so we can make one huge play mat for her. It has taken me all week to do this, and somehow I still have five left to go.
The dogs think BK bought this for them...
On a different note, the dogs learned the joy of licking Baby K's hands and face when she eats. I'm telling myself that they are just helping build her immune system up. I don't let them lick long, as it does kind of gross me out, but she seems to find it funny too.
Baby K is happy to have the company
In the end, would I change anything? Probably not. But still, when you're going through it, these days can seem long. The thing is, when I look at this cute face, how can I be anything but in love, doing whatever it takes to give her anything and everything I can.
BK and Baby K during the last feeding
And when we end our days like this, I'm immediately reminded just how fortunate we are, how much love we're surrounded with and how tomorrow's always a new day for everyone.

**Note: I wrote this after my day on Thursday, but as I needed to sleep, do stuff, and take care of Baby K, I'm just finishing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment