Monday, November 2, 2015

A little bit of Halloween fun

Minnie Mouse was ready to party at playgroup!
I'll admit, seeing and hearing about all the fun people had together on Halloween made me a little envious that we weren't trick or treating with Baby K's cousins in Fort Worth or east Texas, going door to door, stocking up on lots of candy. Halloween is not such a big deal in Switzerland, but you can occasionally find groups of expats, typically mostly Americans, celebrating together.

I'll also admit though, I'm not a big fan of Halloween. In fact, it's pretty much my least favorite holiday, probably due to the fact that I really don't like things in costume- it just kind of weirds me out. But of course, I'm willing to overlook that, and even get excited when it comes to having fun with Baby K. So, we did what we could to celebrate, and out little Minnie Mouse was pretty darn cute!

So we celebrated Halloween on Friday with the playgroup we attend each week. They had a Halloween party for all the kids, and everyone dressed up. There wasn't trick or treating or anything, but Halloween crafts and Halloween themed snacks and decorations to celebrate the day. Minnie was supposed to make another appearance on Halloween, but due to some sleeping issues, had to cancel her appearance. It was really too bad, as I know there was a Sophia the First looking forward to playing!
Meringue ghosts and brownie spiders
My love of baking also outweighs my dislike of Halloween. Couple that with the fact that I like to share a bit of American culture with various groups that I bake for, and that brings me to Halloween baking! I made meringue ghosts and brownie spiders for Baby K's creche.

They didn't have a Halloween party or anything, and there was no dressing up at school, but I was excited they let me bring something for their afternoon snack. When I sent a picture, my sister pointed out that spiders have eight legs. My response was that I'm not sure Baby K even knows what a spider is, so I don't think she (and the other tots) will mind four-legged spiders.

So yeah, that's about it for us and Halloween. We actually went to Basel on Friday afternoon to celebrate a friend's birthday that evening, hung out on Saturday, then had to make an earlier than expected departure back to Montreux on Saturday evening (see above sleeping comment). I won't even try to make an excuse, but everyone in our house was in bed and asleep by around 9pm on Halloween night. Judge if you want, but it was awesome, and totally my kind of Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment