Tuesday, November 3, 2015

And the project goes on...

Lamb with dates, apricots, and saffron over couscous
Ah yes, the cooking project...it still exists. It's just going slowly and I haven't updated you recently. Thanks to the project, I have found a number of recipes that I go to quite often, so haven't tried a lot of new ones lately.

As a review, here's what we've tried so far:
  • Traditional Hummus
  • Arugula, Grape and Sunflower Seed Salad
  • Pesto Chicken Salad Sandwiches
  • Sauteed Tuna and Green Onion Stalks on Romaine
  • Ma Pa Tofu
  • Curried Chicken and Cashews
  • Crab Cakes with Roasted Vegetables and Tangy Butter Sauce
  • Parmesan and Sage-Crusted Pork Chops
  • Prosciutto and Fontina-Stuffed Chicken Breasts
  • Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs
  • Chicken with Rosemary Dumplings
  • Vietnamese Caramelized Pork and Rice Noodle Salad
  • Classic Meat Loaf
  • Italian Meatball Burgers
  • Grilled Salmon with Korean Barbeque Glaze
  • Greek Lamb and Red Onion Kebabs
  • Spiced Pork Chops with Apple Chutney
  • Cajun Grilled Corn
Last night I made Lamb with Dates, Apricots, and Saffron over Couscous. It was not BK's favorite, but he did eat it. It was cooked correctly and well, just not his (or my) first choice for something to eat. If you like a middle eastern dish that has similar flavors, you would probably really like this one, but it was just a little too sweet for us. I added some Greek yogurt to add a little tanginess and some garlic naan (Indian flat bread) to try and offset the sweet in the dish. I can't decide how I would rate it. BK gave it a 5, which is essentially a 0 since he doesn't give anything lower than a five.

I want to continue to try recipes, and I'm sure we'll have more of these nights where I cook something that is good, but is not our favorite. I'm not sure what I'll do with those recipes that I know we won't like, i.e. Olive Tapenade, as olives are seriously one of the only things that I am not a fan of. Maybe I'll make it when we have guests and I need an appetizer or something. Like I said, just because it's not our favorite doesn't mean it's not a good recipe or meal.

Our most common repeats are: hummus, pesto chicken sandwiches, seared tuna on salad, spicy honey-brushed chicken thighs, grilled salmon, greek lamb and red onion kebabs, spiced pork chops, and grilled corn. I'm happy to report that my little project has worked, in that, I've incorporated lots of new recipes that have become regulars.

Now that fall has brought cooler temps for us, and winter is just around the corner, I'm looking forward to trying more of the soups and stews for a cozy evening meal. BK is always such a good sport and pretty much willing to try anything I make! I'll keep cooking and will have more updates as we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment