Sunday, June 29, 2014

Quick and Healthy

After having a few days at home with just me and Baby K, I realized I really need to work on my eating. BK and I eat pretty healthy, and we eat out way less than we did in the US, but on any given day I often find myself scrounging around for food when I need to eat.

Most days I eat all three meals at home, getting out in the mornings and afternoons, sort of missing meal times out. And besides that, eating out in Switzerland is fairly expensive, especially considering I'm not interested in eating fast food. I typically default to some sort of green salad or fruit and hope that I have some rotisserie chicken in the fridge. There may also be cheese toast involved in most cases. Not bad, but gets boring after a while.

So at the end of this week, after I had recovered from our whirlwind two weeks with family, I set out on a mission to find some summer salad recipes that I could easily grab for a quick bite. I was thinking something like Central Market's to-go section where I could just dish up a couple of healthy bites.
Middle Eastern Veggie Salad
I tried three new recipes for this little endeavor: Middle Eastern Vegetable Salad; Pesto Pasta Salad with Roasted Asparagus, String Beans, Cherry Tomatoes and Olives; and Citrus Quinoa Salad.
Pesto Pasta Salad
The grocery trip seemed enormous, but Baby K and I made it home, stroller, rolly bag, and another grocery bag in hand. There wasn't really all that much cooking involved, more chopping lots of fruits and veggies. I somehow managed to get the most of it done in the time that Baby K took her nap from 3pm to 5pm, and before BK arrived home from the airport.
Citrus Quinoa Salad
Hopefully my adventures in cooking will pay off this week when Baby K and I are around the house. So far the Middle Eastern Veggie Salad is my favorite; it makes a great bruschetta as well. The Citrus Quinoa Salad is a little different, but something I'm willing to try, in hopes that it fills me up more than just a piece of fruit would. And I haven't actually tried the Pesto Pasta Salad yet, so hopefully it doesn't disappoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment