Wednesday, June 26, 2013

And they say you can't do anything with flank steak...

Today was a normal day for me. I was excited to hear all the news from the US, but for me, my day consisted of German class, lunch with BK, walking dogs, German homework, groceries, walking dogs again, then dinner. I need to post about Amsterdam, but today's post is about grocery shopping. I used to be the annoying American who couldn't speak German. Now I'm the annoying American who tells everyone that I'm learning German, so bear with me as I try to tell you what I need and/or want.

Today I went to Migros, the local grocery store in which I like to shop. I found a recipe on Pintrest that I knew I wanted to make to give us a little taste of home: Grilled Steak with Roasted JalapeƱo Chimichurri. This involves both flank or skirt steak, as well as jalapeƱos- I wasn't sure if I could find either of these things here.

When I got to the meat counter I saw flank steak and knew it was what I needed, but the butcher was not convinced. I showed him the picture of what I wanted to make and he then tried to convince me that it was filet. Um, no...not buying filet in Switzerland. Meat is seriously expensive here. The butcher tried to explain to me that with skirt steak you have to soak it in water and do all these other things to make it edible. So not the case. And yes, I totally told him that I was from Texas and knew what I was doing with it, so it would be fine. They laughed at me and said okay.

I'll be honest, because of them, I doubted myself on whether or not I had purchased the right thing, but it all turned out great! It was something new and different to try here, and we pan seared it in our apartment, which was also very different from the US. I am still not sure what kind of pepper I bought, but the chimichurri turned out very well, and had quite a kick.

Here are my results. Yum!


I am tempted to take this picture back to Migros just to let them know that yes, you can in fact do other things with flank steak, besides make soup. The Swiss are missing out as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment