Saturday, June 22, 2013

The familiar sound of golf

In case you live under a rock, last Sunday was Father's Day. It was kind of weird for BK and I not to see either of our dads. Usually we see both of our dads, spending time with BK's family out of town, then usually back in Fort Worth for dinner with my dad. And there's always golf.

The US Open is one of the four majors in golf, and it is always held the weekend of Father's Day. In Texas our Saturdays and Sundays in spring and summer were always full of whatever tournament was on that weekend. For majors it also usually involved being at a parent's house as well.

I don't think it ever dawned on me how familiar the sound of golf is to me. When we turned the US Open on last weekend, I was immediately struck by the familiarity of what it sounds like on TV. Hearing the announcers talk about the leaders performance thus far and various golf legends throughout Saturday and Sunday brought me to the realization of how many of my years (all of them) have been filled with the sounds of PGA golf on Saturdays, and especially Sundays, the final day of tournaments.

BK especially liked this year's US Open because he has played on the course it was played on this year, Marion.

For the next major, the British Open, I'm excited because BK's sister and brother-in-law will be in Basel with us. It will be fun to enjoy a major with family again when the familiar sound of golf once again fills our apartment in Switzerland.

No comments:

Post a Comment