Saturday, November 23, 2013

Our first trip home for the Holidays

This is our first trip back to the US for a holiday and it's been fun so far. I've never lived away from Texas for Thanksgiving or Christmas, and I like the feeling of being home for the holidays. For some reason I haven't felt the need to pack our schedule full of lunches and dinners, but instead just have a few planned, with most of the time being saved for hanging out relaxing with family.


We left a snowy Basel on Friday morning and seem to have brought that winter weather with us. Since arriving we've enjoyed many of our favorite foods including sushi, Chick-fil-a, Buffalo Brothers and (of course) Joe T's. 

And I've liked this Saturday. Without a TCU game to rush off to, BK and I sort of had a "normal" weekend day. A haircut and color for me (long overdue) in which I went a little darker. My only worry now is how to help my Swiss person understand what to do, as opposed to just going with the color that she has written down on my card. 

BK actually suggested going over the Buy Buy Baby to look at some of the stuff we had registered for, as everything I picked was done online. I thought it was cute and it hadn't even crossed my mind to do that. Here's something I never thought I'd see:


Last night I was super excited to open and go through a giant pile of boxes from all the online shopping I have been doing from Switzerland. It's primarily Christmas and winter birthday shopping I'm trying to get done, but there were a couple of treats in there for BK and I. And knowing that my sisters would happily go through the stuff that is for them before we get back in December, today I stocked up on Christmas wrapping so that no peeking can occur before Christmas.

Another little treat that I got today was a new fitbit (I know, exciting right?). It goes on my wrist, as opposed to having to remember to put my pedometer in my pocket, and it tracks all kinds of other stuff such as calories burned, miles travelled, active minutes, sleep patterns, calories consumed and ounces of water. I'm especially interested in the sleep since I haven't been sleeping as well and I'm working on recovering from a seven hour time difference at the moment.


Of course, I also fit in some time to bake today and did a trial run of a breakfast treat I think I want to make for Thanksgiving day, Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread. It was a process since I opted to make my own dough, as opposed to using cresent rolls, and I had to break up the actual baking around dinner plans, but in the end it turned out well and tastes good. It doesn't "pull apart" like I thought it would, but it will work.


We had dinner with some of our favorite friends who also love Joe T's as much as BK does. It's always fun to catch up and reminisce over margaritas and fajitas :)

Like I mentioned before, we're working on recovering from the seven hour time difference and very little sleep last night, so we're winding down now. Of course we miss the little pups we left behind, but have no fear...we still have some fill-ins here to keep us company.


No comments:

Post a Comment