Wednesday, February 12, 2014

How do I use this phone?

As I mentioned in a recent post, I'm working on planning travel for us for this year. At times this requires me to actually call to a different country to make a reservation for various activities. Somehow every time I have to call I am stumped on how the hell to make a phone call to another country from Switzerland. Really?

I call my parents and sisters on a regular basis, so why is it that I can call the US and not anywhere else in the world? I partially blame it on the fact that they are programmed into my cell phone, so outside of clicking on their name, I don't have to do much to call.

Also, for those of you who don't know, the US country code is +1. So you dial 001 then continue on with the number. European countries on the other hand have a two digit country code (for example, France is +33). So when you call you're supposed to dial 00, then the country code, then continue on with the number. Every time I try to make a phone call I'm convinced I need to drop one of the zeros or something; it's like the two digit country code trips me up every time.

Long story short, pretty much every time I have to make a phone call to somewhere other than the US or Switzerland I end up Googling how to call [insert country here] from Switzerland, and then am provided with directions.

Nothing like a simple task to put you right back in check about how smart you think you are. Maybe now that I've written about it I'll remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment