Monday, August 5, 2013

A different kind of heat

I've totally been slacking off on the blog lately, and I'm not sure why. I need to get back on track, so here it goes...surely I can meet my goal of blogging daily.


When you think of Switzerland probably one of the first things you think of is the Alps. Those cold, crisp mountains. Unfortunately those images are very far away from us in Basel right now, and so not what's happening.

For the past few days it's been in the low to mid 90s. Now for those of you in Texas, I know that the 90s may not seem that hot. And compared to a heat index around 110 degrees, it's not. But when you don't have air conditioning, the 90s are really hot! Not only do we not have air conditioning, but pretty much no where does, so there's no cooling down inside either. The grocery store is pretty much the only place that is air conditioned, and I can only lug my basket around for so long when I really don't have that much stuff to get.

The 90s may seem much cooler than Texas, but you also have to think about the amount of activity that we do outside. In Texas people pretty much walk from the house to the car, from the car to the office, then back into the car to journey to whatever the next indoor destination is. On the other hand, in Switzerland any time I need to go anywhere it involves walking outside- to the tram, from the tram, to the store...and of course then there's the walking with the dogs three hours a day.

Thankfully it's supposed to cool down in a few days, and the high will only be in the mid-60s. BK and I are headed back to Texas in the next couple of weeks, and although I am not looking forward to the heat, I am looking forward to climate controlled buildings. I'm also hoping that when we get back fall will have crept into Basel and it might be just a tad cooler.

Don't take this the wrong way, I'm not complaining about living in Basel. It's still an awesome experience. Also, take note. I will absolutely come back and read this post when I'm snowed in or moaning about having to put on seven layers to go outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment