Sunday, August 11, 2013

Deutsch Schule ist fertig

As of this past Friday, I have officially completed levels A1 and A2 of German. I am no where near fluent, but I can do things like read signs throughout the city, read the menu to BK at restaurants, order in German, tell them what I need in grocery and department stores and have basic conversation with people. As I've mentioned before though, my biggest problem in Basel is that they speak Swiss-German and would rather speak English to me than speak high German.

The class was great. I really enjoyed getting to know my classmates (who are all in the same situation as me) and hearing about their experiences here. I think the intensive class worked well for me, as I needed some serious structure to force me to learn the language, and three hours a day, five days a week will do that. The teachers in our class say we need to practice now and let it all sink in a bit. I do want to continue on to the B level, but with our travel schedule through the end of the year, right now my only option is to join a conversation group to practice with so that I don't fall behind while being gone for two weeks at a time.

My other big question is...what am I going to do with myself now that I don't have German class that takes up four to five hours per day?? Of course I still have my four-legged friends who need my time and attention three hours per day, but other than that, I must get involved in something. I've saved up a list of things to complete this week before we come back to the US, then hopefully in September can come back and hit the ground running.

Bis Morgan! (Until Tomorrow!)

No comments:

Post a Comment