Thursday, August 15, 2013

Since coming to Switzerland

It's been nearly five months since BK and I relocated to Basel. In that time, he's been back to the US twice for work, and I haven't been back at all. It's been crazy not seeing family or friends for this long, but to be honest, part of me wanted to prove that I could actually live away from home for this long. I've only lived outside of Fort Worth for short periods of time during my entire life, so being across the globe is a new experience.


In those five months, lots has changed and I think we've adjusted really well. We've had a great time traveling all over Europe and are looking forward to more travel for the rest of this year and in years to come. There are plenty of days where I find it to be very strange that I am not working, and that my "job" is to take care of the pups, learn German, plan travel and make our life work over here.

While thinking about our time here, I came up with a list of things I have and haven't done since we've been here. This should be fun...

Since moving to Switzerland, I have not:
  • Driven a car
  • Used a microwave (no we don't own one, and it's not all that bad)
  • Shopped because I was bored (expensive, no selection, must haul it home)
  • Done yoga, barre or anything like it
  • Learned to "love" cleaning
Since moving to Switzerland, I have:
  • Walked an average of 15,000- 20,000 steps per day
  • Discovered how quickly dust accumulates when you live with windows and doors open
  • Survived 95 degree days (and nights) with no air conditioning
  • Picked up more dog poo than I ever thought possible
  • Learned that it's not that big of a deal when you break a Swiss rule
  • Traveled to seven countries and numerous cities
  • Started learning German
I feel certain there are others that I'm leaving out, but these were a few that stood out to me. I'm getting really excited about our upcoming trip to the US and can't wait to see everyone for the first time in a long time!

No comments:

Post a Comment